20 May 2011

Home stretch

I feel like I'm on the home straight with the Red Lady. She's beginning to feel like a car. Like a thing that lives and breathes and moves through your life with you. For so long she was just a concept, a collection of ideas, and the memories of the car that she was sort of went sepia toned and nostalgic. I guess that part hasn't changed, she's as different now as I am different to the kid I was when we first rode together. Those memories won't be coming back, but plenty of new ones will be made.

There's not much left to do now. I thought, earlier this year, that my November goal was a bit optimisitic. Now I think I might even beat it as the to-do list shrinks down to the point where I can think of it in terms of how many weekends of work there are left in it all. Money is a bit of a problem now, I really gotta sell the '68 before I can take care of some of the last few things on my shopping list. Two semi-major components remain to be bought: A driveshaft and a new windscreen. Apart from that, most of what remains is free or cheap and the jobs that still need doing aren't the ugly, pain-in-the-ass kind but the fun and exciting ones. The wiring, the thought of which used to fill me with dread, is now exciting and piece-of-cake thanks to a wonderful wiring kit I was able to buy from Late Great Chevy. It's more or less an exact, complete wiring reproduction, including new headlight switch, ignition switch and highbeam switch, plus all the lightbulb sockets. It's also somewhat modified, intending to be used with a high output alternator and full-voltage ignition like a HEI or MSD. So that's pretty awesome.

This weekend I intend to get stuck in, I've got a fair bit I want to accomplish before monday morning rolls around. Having the engine ready to go in would be nice, though I've got to repaint it, and I don't know if my old can of POR15 engine paint will be ok, seeing as it's at least 5 years old. Still, if I can get the body number restamped, the floor cut out, and the engine and box put together, that will be almost enough to satiate my desires... for now. Really, though, I've a feeling this fire will stay lit till I slap a rego label on that big beautiful curved windscreen. See ya soon, Hume Highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment